May 24, 2014
Image found here.
For our homework this week we are going to analyse the news. As a critical thinker is important that we engage with the news, ask questions, look deeper, reflect on and even disagree sometimes with the news we read. That is how we can have a deeper understanding of what is going on in the world around us. This is participating and contributing and that is one of our key competencies. Remember, that even the most unbiased news article is still only one persons version of events!
1. Choose an online news article* to analyse and make sure that it either has a photo or you can find one elsewhere that relates to the story. Here are some places to look: Stuff, Scoop, NZ Herald, Dominion Post, The Guardian, The Wireless, Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls, A Mighty Girl, TIME For Kids, The Learning Network (NYT), Nick News, DOGO News.
2. Write a blog post on your blog that includes an image about your news story, a link to the original story and a brief summary of the story in your own words. You can include your ideas, thoughts and opinions in your summary.
3. In the blog post, after your summary, use the thinking hats to analyse the story. You can talk about the news event itself but you also might want to talk about how the journalist has written about the event. What messages were they trying to get across and how do you know? Do you agree or disagree with how they’ve reported it? Why?
4. Include a ‘call to action’ in your blog post either at the end, beginning or even more than once that encourages the reader to comment on your post and engage with what you’re writing. It could be a general ask for peoples thoughts or you might have something more specific in mind.
5. Comment on 5 other blog posts about the news from our class. Use the blog commenting rubric below to make sure the comments you leave are interesting, engaging and are thinking beyond just what you read.
Image from Mrs Bradshaws Class, click to enlarge.
*You could also chose or link to multiple articles about the same issue, if you want to show more than one point of view. You can also include more than one photo or even video in your blog post.